- The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – 2008 Man Booker winner. And one of the most immoral, yet entertaining, as well as thought-provoking books I read this year.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini – a book that will make you laugh, cry, angry, indignant, and yes thankful and hopeful. This book touched me in so many ways, I just cannot explain.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson – just because it breaks so many perceptions about crime thrillers. It is so much more than just a murder mystery. And it left me so looking forward to reading the other 2 books in this series.
- Books 1-4 of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris – because these light reads are the most entertaining guilty reads I have read in a long while.
- Books 1-4 of the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage – these books are consistently good, consistently entertaining, and really excellent reads for those times when all you want is a steaming mug of tea, and books with plenty of atmosphere, fast pace, and a dose of wry humor.
So, what were your top 5 reads in 2009?