Now that all the overindulgence of holidays + new year is done with, it’s time to bring out the hoary, old resolutions and try to attempt them this year at least.
Just like every year, my resolutions haven’t changed drastically, and neither did I seriously attempt them beyond a few months. But anyway, according to Susan Miller’s Astrology Zone, the 11th of January is a great time to embark on new year resolutions, and since I take astrological predictions very seriously (yes, I do!!!), here’s a list of things I want to do this year.
- Get back to pre-baby weight or as close as I can get – I am tired of covering up in my own personal tents – oversized shalwar kameezes. I love figure-hugging jeans and hate how awful they look on me these days . Even if I don’t lose too much weight, I really want to take care of my food intake (less junk and more health food), more physical activity, and better grooming. K told me once that I have an all or nothing attitude, and I think that’s true. Definitely, when I am caught by friends in shabby sweatpants in upscale malls, I know it’s time to pay a little more attention to what I wear and how I look.
- Cook more – It’s not like I am a bad cook or that I don’t cook. It’s just that I am very indifferent to food, and have never seen the point of spending time cooking when the food is all consumed within 10-15 minutes. I’d rather spend time on doing something that lasts a little longer (like say blogging ). However, I feel guilty when I see K and the snubnose consuming sub-par stuff just because I don’t pay enough attention to what’s happening in the kitchen. So, this is my new year resolution – to be more aware of what we consume as a family, and try to make more fresh and healthy food.
- Be more zen about everything – I usually am always pretty cool about things and don’t get flustered. But I felt that last year, I began to feel very negative about a lot of things. I don’t want to be specific on this blog, but nothing went as planned. What was even more frustrating was that I didn’t have any control over the way events played out. I got angry and I snapped and bitched and went over-emotional, and anxious. I really want to control my emotions better this year. I know this is going to be a tough year, and I need to be calm and controlled, and ready to accept that things are going to be tough for some more time to come.
So, these are my personal goals for 2013. I look at this list, and short though it is, I know I need to change my mind-set entirely to reach these goals. I feel anxious when I even re-read this list. But anxious or not, I know these changes need to come within me. For too long, I have been trying to fight off these changes I need to make in my life.
What are your goals for 2013? How do you make sure you stay on track? I would love to know.
I took my time making new year resolutions this year because I have been so tied up with stuff, it has been difficult to think of anything beyond this week.
In addition, this was a very social week for me (lots of lunches and dinners), and because one of my new year resolutions has to do with food, I thought it better to wait till the dust settles down.
My new year resolutions are not that exciting or that different from last year’s ones. Just that, this time I hope by making it public, I may actually be forced to stick to some of them
So, here goes:
- Work out regularly
- Take care of health
- Travel more
- Shop more. This might seem like an odd resolution to make. But, really I have not shopped much at all ever since the snubnose came into my life. I kept thinking that I will buy nice, new things once I lose weight, but that never happened. And even though I have made my health and fitness resolutions, I really doubt that I am going to get back to my pre-baby weight. So, what I am gonna do is buy good stuff that suits me for the way I look now and just carry it off to the best of my ability.
- Really be there in the moment – several times, I realize that I am not giving the moment complete attention, I am worrying about some other things such as cooking dinner, submitting my work on time, yadda, yadda, yadda. This gives me a pre-occupied air at times, and at times I suddenly realize everyone is having a whale of a time, and I have gone into my inner world. Something that I don’t know that I can change, but on this list nevertheless.
- And as always, work more efficiently, better myself, my writing style, my technical knowledge, and keep on improving
- Blogging and reading resolutions? I am quite happy with both and can’t really think of anything right now. I am not saying that there is nothing to improve, there’s plenty more I can do. It’s just not going to as high a priority as some of my others. Last year, blogging was a big priority. I was sick of writing stuff, which no one was reading. I decided that I would really work on improving my blog and I am pretty happy with what I have achieved so far. In the process, I am having a lot of fun with it as well
AND here’s the biggie, the tough one, the one I desperately want to break
- No chocolate. This is such a difficult one for a chocolate freak like me. All during my teens and twenties, I used to eat at least one chocolate bar a day. It didn’t affect me in any way at all. All that serotonin just made me feel good. I did reduce my chocolate eating last year to just twice a week, but still I feel I eat too much. I don’t even enjoy eating it as much as I used to; it’s just become a matter of habit. Two years back, I successfully kicked my chain coffee-drinking habit, so fingers crossed that this year I will be able to break this one.
So, what do you think? Do you think I have taken too much on?
What are your new year resolutions?
My wishes are rather belated. This new year’s started off on a rather dull note when Mr. K’s father was hospitalized on New Year’s Eve when he had a slight scare with his heart. Thankfully, things are slowly getting back to normal now, and I am starting to get back to my normal routines.
For some time now, the snubnose like all other kids in India has been obsessed by Bollywood music. She knows the lyrics, songs, and most actors and actresses. Of course, me being the kill-joy mum has to try to divert her attention to more appropriate kind of music- something that does not always work.
One song that both me and the snubnose both enjoy to sing around the house is Aashayein – the song from the very inspiring movie Iqbal about a deaf and dumb boy who tries to get on board the Indian cricket team.
The reason I am posting about this, is because I think this song has a lot of meaning especially during the new year. It’s all about having hopes and dreams, and working towards achieving them.
This blog has the lyrics of the song along with the translation. The translation is a bit clunky. But, I hope you all get the message. I wish you all a very happy new year, where you will work hard and fulfill all the dreams that you have.
I have a feeling in my heart…this year is going to be unlike other years. I don’t know why, but for good or bad, I just know that this year is going to be an impactful one. Hopefully, for the good .
Happy new year everyone. Hope you all had a fun-filled New Year’s eve. We certainly did. Had a quiet dinner party at home with friends, ate a lot , drank a lot, and generally had a blast.
New Year wishes to all
Spending the first day of the new year surfing the web for annual forecasts for the year 2009. Here are some of the links I visited :
I am still waiting for the forecasts from Susan Miller and Bridgette Walther. Both of them provide really reliable, and upbeat predictions (very important. I don’t want to know about upcoming disasters).
So, do you follow any particular astrologer? And, how did you spend your New Year’s ?
Been reading a lot of blogs by my friends lately, and am really inspired to start one of my own. Primarily planning to focus on stuff happening on a day-to-day basis….Let’s see how it goes and for how long my enthu takes me. I am the sort of person who has always bought a diary every New Year but never maintained it for more than a month. I have always claimed that my life is so full that I don’t have time to write about it. This time, I am trying electronic. I type faster than I write
So, a little info about me. I am married and am celebrating my anniversary today. My husband Kalyan and me live in Bangalore after moving from the States 4 years ago. We have a beautiful 1.8 year old daughter Jahnavi.
More info about us in the upcoming posts