Today, the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish have asked us to list the Top Ten Popular Authors We’ve Never Read.
This is an interesting meme, and I am sure I could easily make more than 10. I tend to not read trending books, or hugely popular ones, not because of snobbery, but when I know a lot about a book before I read it, I tend to lose interest in actually reading the book, if you know what I mean.
So here comes a list of authors who every book blogger has probably read but I’ve yet to get to.
- Suzanne Collins. I haven’t touched The Hunger Games trilogy yet. At first, the hype over these books was totally off-putting. I had earlier given in to the Twilight hype and then bitterly regretted it and I didn’t feel in the mood for reading more YA. However, many serious bloggers have thought highly of the books, so I may just read them this year. Or maybe not
- Cassandra Clare. This writer is also YA and I am just not into that these days. There’s just way too many similar writers and series books going on for me to keep up. It’s much easier to give them all a miss.
- Nicholas Sparks. I’m not into sentimental reads. Everything I’ve read about his books on the internet have convinced me that his books will just not be my style.
- Stephen Chbosky. OK, his only book is The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I don’t know why I haven’t read it because it sounds like a nice book. Probably something to add to my TBR list.
- JoJo Moyes. She is currently one of the hot authors on this planet. I see her books featured on almost every blog I know, but I’ve never actually gotten around to reading her books.
- And the same goes for John Green. I do want to read his books, but some of them sound so so sad (I am thinking about the kids with cancer one). If you know some upbeat books by him you can recommend, let me know in the comments.
- Liane Moriarty. I am dying, just dying to read The Husband’s Secret by her, but I have such a huge TBR list already that I know I won’t be able to get to it anytime soon. But she’s an author I plan to read pretty soon.
- Donna Tartt. Another well-reviewed author whose books I’ve never been able to get to. Sigh! Someday I will.
- Hillary Mantel. A two-time Man Booker winner who writes about the Tudor era? I should have read these books, they are right up my alley, but I never got around to reading it so far.
- Kate Atkinson. I first heard about her when Life After Life erupted all over the blogosphere. At the time I thought this was her début only to realize she’s written many other well-regarded books as well and I hope to get to her books someday.
So which are the popular authors you’ve given a miss? And why?