I spent yesterday chilling in front of the TV catching the new Phir Mile Sur remix of the vibrant 80’s national integration song. And I am pretty stunned at how bad it is. The original song was such a beautiful melody where people sang in different languages and different styles, and yet the melody weaved itself into one song.
The new one is unbelievably harsh on the ears, and the music change when the scene moves from one state to another is quite jarring. It made me feel I was listening to a series of different songs just strung together on a music mixer. I am hoping that repeated listening might make me warm more to the tune :(.
And what is with the Bollywood overdose? Argggh…the whole message of national integration is gone if the song is dominated by Bollywood alone.
The song is not all bad though. There were some lovely highlights:
- Loved Salman’s section where he is signing with the deaf-mute kids
- Loved Anoushka Shankar’s sitar playing, Zakir Hussain on the tabla, Sivamani on the drums, and AR Rahman on the continuum fingerboard. In fact, all the musicians in this video are excellent.
- Nice to see Juhi Chawla with her sweet smile
- I don’t know if I am biased here, but I thought all the South Indian sections were wonderful. They were so normal and down-to-earth; they were in the video representing the people of the region and not showing off like some of the Bollywood stars.
What could have been edited out:
- The entire first family of Bollywood. Amitabh, Abhishek, and Aishwarya were an overdose -especially when they all act so fakey.
- Wincing with pain at Sonu Nigam’s section. He is a good singer but what was he trying to pull off here?
- Aamir Khan’s act with the children was not necessary when Salman has anyway done a more effective one. Especially horrible was Aamir doing the song in the Kya bolti tu / Bum bum bole (I actually could not make out which one it was!) tune!
Anyway, here are 2 clippings of the video for those who have not yet managed to catch it on TV or the net:
What did you love/hate about this new song?